Thursday, September 17, 2009

What's your dream?

We were friends, the kind of friends who can be called as best friends. We studied together, sat together in classes and even ate together on occasions. She made it clear to all our classmates that we were nothing more than 'best' friends - to prevent any kind of misunderstandings - but nevertheless we did share a special chemistry.

She was sincere, smart and beautiful; God bestowed her everything a girl could desire. While me, I was just a naive and immature kiddo', as she used to address me. Sitting by her side, I could not find anything more important than adoring her. She didn't notice it, and even if she noticed it, she didn't give it much attention. Perhaps, she had become used to such stares once in a while courtesy to her being only one of the few good-looking girls that my college(IIT Delhi) possessed.

She was a dreamer, with big ambitions for her small-yet-exceptionally-sharp brain. Small in comparison to the big-box-of-mud affixed over my neck by the Almighty and sharp which was quite evident by the streak of her academic achievements ranging from medals in International Olympiads to scholarships from foreign universities.

While, I was still struggling to find a place under my feet - to find my ambition for life. I often found myself busy finding my 'purpose of life' instead of studying before the examinations, thus letting mediocrity overshadow every aspect of my personality. God only knows how we managed to become best friends - it was due to our common interest in dramatics, I guess!

Once, we were sitting in the library and as always, she was helping me in fighting with books when Samarth, a batchmate of ours, came towards our table. He had been a good friend to her, and so to me.

"Hey Deeksha, can I borrow a minute from you? I want to talk about something in private." Samarth said.
"What's so private that you want to hide from Harsh? If you wish then say it in front of him or I am not interested to hear."
"Okay, please don't get angry. This may seem odd but if I don't commit it to you, I would become a maniac for sure. Deeksha, I like you, in fact, I love you. This feeling has captivated me ever since we first talked. I am crazy about you." He said shyly.

I didn't know why but I felt choked from inside, as though someone had cut my tongue and flushed my brain with chloroform. In a fit of blankness, I realized that I too was crazy about her - madly crazy - and I just could not afford to lose her.

"What's your dream?" Deeksha asked, in a serene tone, showing no particular reaction at all.
"Oh...yeah...obviously, my dream is to be with you always." He stammered nervously. I was dumbfounded seeing what she was upto.

"Samarth, I really respect your feelings for me. But you're not the kind of guy I would want in my life. I'm sorry." She said calmly. He didn't say a word and left the place.

"What? What was that?" I asked, puzzled.
"What?"
"How could you be so cool all throughout? And, how could you judge a guy with just one question? You're strange." I said.

"For me, a goal-less lover is the category I detest the most. I want somebody who is clear about his dream - his aim in life - because I believe that one can't understand what love means if one has not experienced it for himself - for his ambitions and his dreams. The kind of love which Samarth had for me would not last long, since it was mere infatuation. His only ambition was to get me and the day he succeeds in that, I would lose importance in his life because he will become dream-less and complacent with himself." She said.

I was lost in her words. Her every word did a silent work of crushing my dream of someday conveying my feelings to her. 'I was just a mediocre for her!' My inner voice yelled inside me.

Months went by, my fondness for her grew exponentially while my self-confidence plunged down, because in the meantime, she rejected four more proposals as they could not satisfy her ideology. The thought, 'I was not good enough for her!' pervaded my mind all the while.

Three months later
"Hey, I got selected for the International Photonics Conference to be held in Germany. I would be leaving on the next Sunday for two weeks. The best part is that the institute is funding me for the trip." She announced to a group of friends, me included in the group.

"Wow, cheers!" Everyone in the group reciprocated, but not me. I was definitely happy for her but inwardly I knew that I would miss her, miss her like hell. But, I was no-one to take more importance in her life than her dreams and her ambitions. 'Best friends' is a silly term to categorize the people who are important to you but not very special to you.

Time for her to go came soon. I went to the airport to see her off and bid her a goodbye hug with a tearful smile, which said more than what my words could. She seemed happy and smiled back in the usual way saying, "I'll miss you kiddo'."

"I'll miss you too." I managed to mumble.
"Promise me that you'll study hard." She said pulling my ears.

I promised her without reflecting on her words being completely lost in her eyes. How could she not notice that I like her? It had been more than five months of our friendship and it seemed like a lifetime of my fondness for her.

The two weeks passed like months and her thoughts clouded my mind all throughout. My feelings for her didn't know how to apply brakes. I was in love with her, though I knew that I had nothing in myself to complement even a trace of her talent, intelligence or beauty. I was a goal-less lover, after all!
She came back having rocked the international conference with her brilliant presentation on Quantum Optics. I was more than proud of her. The moment she reached the institute, she called me, "Hey kiddo', am back! I so much want to meet you."

"Hey, you know what I am so proud of you! I have so many stories to relate. I am in the library, trying to battle with the books but with no success on my side. Where are you? I'm waiting for you here. Come soon, otherwise I'll kill you!" I said in my seemingly excited voice.

Ten minutes later
"Hel..looooo!" She said and tapped my shoulders from behind.
"Hey! I missed you like hell." I exclaimed and hugged her heaving a great sigh of relief.
"I missed you too. You know what? I've realized something!" She said calmly.
"What?"
"That I love you." She whispered into my ears. I was flabbergasted. My feet started trembling. My heartbeat rose up. Sweat mixed with tears suddenly adorned my cheeks.

Taking a deep breath in, I gathered myself a little and could utter just one question, "What's your dream?"

"My dream," she whispered, "is to make you dream!"

P.S. This story is pure work of fiction, it bears no resemblance to anyone I know or you know. It has been written just to emphasize one thought that I had.

18 comments:

Pallavi said...

philosophies are always worth reading bur rarely interesting ....... if u call it a slightly philosophical love story ...... even then it was so very interesting and perfectly blended aur "too much appreciation is injurious" to jyada nahi likhti:)

buzzzzzzzzz... said...

oh i luv d end.......u r gettin bettr !!creep!

keshav said...

Achha hai, achha hai........ bahut accha hai!!!

Prabhjot Sethi said...

Excellent Plot,Nice Narration,Wonderful Endg
All In All It Was Really Fun To Read
Keep Up The Good Work Buddy

tusharika said...

All wells the ends well..it was interesting as well as delightful..thats why we say love is reclusive in nature and can grow anywhere,not necessarily in sitting rooms with caremic pots but in the road among the ferns.."What's your dream" ends with a beautiful one line that speaks volume of the hearts tell

Buzz said...

@ Pallavi
Thanks for always being amongst the first readers. You perhaps don't know but it strengthens my spirits to write more.

@ buzzzzzzzzz...
Finally a 'tareef' from your side. Thanks! You're getting kind, silly! :P

@ Keshav
Tera comment achha hai, achha hai ... bahut accha hai.

@ Prabhjot
Thanks for your kind words. I'll surely make sure that I do keep up the 'good' work.

@ Tusharika
It's nice to see a philosopher liking my bit of philosophy.

Loved your line - love does not grow necessarily in sitting rooms with ceramic pots but in the road among the ferns.

Raviteja said...

Very true. Real. Mesmerizing.
HArsh, what would you ask to the 'someone' who proposes to you?

Buzz said...

@ Raviteja
I would thank her, and then I'll tell that I am already engaged to my laptop.

UmmeAbdullah said...

d story is gud nd ending is cute! but wat i like most abt ur blogs whch i hve read so far ..is dat all girls chrcters r so strong n indepndent! thnk u..

Buzz said...

@ yshfn
Thanks for your kind words. I never noticed this fact about my writing, thanks for bringing out.

Now I realize that the reason for it is that I've soft corner for women(each and every who I know). ;)

By the way, I would urge you to read two stories - Hell Ride and That 'THING' called love - in graffiti and see my 'other' side too.

aman said...

After such a long time, I read this story of yours, and believe me, it was indeed a pleasure to read this.
I really loved the thought that you wanted to convey through your story.... simply awesome !!!
Dreams and Love, go together... none should overshadow other.

Sugandha said...

Err..I talk a lot I guess. :-/

This time, just word one would do- "W.O.W."

:-)

Anonymous said...

lovely...vry intrestng...
keep it up harsh dr...

Anonymous said...

hey harsh..m a gr8 fan of ur writings...u did a very well job...
with love..zeenat....:):)

Anuranjani said...

Wow! I was randomly going through blogs and came across Graffiti! I am so happy I did! Amazing work!
This one is awesome too!

mitusha said...

I am reading this post for the third time and I still love it. :-) Need I say anything more? :-)

Unknown said...

i lov ur story more dan my love....

Unknown said...

Holding and Inspiring...